Who to Inform When Someone Dies

It is important you know who to inform when someone dies and that they are notified as soon as possible. Here you will find guidance on the various entities that should be contacted following a bereavement. This handy checklist is not exhaustive but gives a good insight into who should be notified and when.

Notification Of Death

When someone passes away you will need to provide a number of parties with notification of death. The people you will need to inform may vary depending on the circumstances, so it is helpful to know what to do when someone dies at home, hospital, or in other circumstances. As well as being asked to supply a copy of the death certificate, you may need to provide their personal information, such as:

  • Full name (and any previous names)
  • Address
  • Date and city of birth
  • Date and location of death
  • NI number
  • Account numbers held with service providers
  • Bank details of the deceased

Relatives and Friends

You will need to inform relatives and friends of the passing. This may feel like an overwhelming task, particularly if the deceased had a large social circle. Focus on informing the immediate family members and closest friends, then perhaps seek support from these people to contact others. This may also be a good way to let people know if you would prefer not to receive calls or condolences at this time.


If the deceased was in employment you will need to notify their employers. Again, this may be something you would like some support with. Bear in mind that colleagues may also be emotionally affected by the passing. You may wish to inform their employer of funeral arrangements when they are decided. Alternatively, if the deceased was self-employed, you will need to notify Revenue and Customs.

Healthcare Providers

If the deceased was in receipt of any ongoing care you should notify their healthcare providers as well as cancelling existing appointments. This may include:

  • Dental appointments
  • Eye examinations
  • Hospital appointments
  • GP appointments
  • Repeat prescription services
  • Home health care services
  • Home meal providers
  • Befriending services

Financial Services

The financial services that will need to be notified may vary. Prioritise those where the deceased held a sole account, in order to prevent fraudulent activity and further deductions/payments that you may be liable to repay. Also consider:

  • Banks and building societies
  • Insurance providers (life/car/home/medical/travel)
  • Pension services
  • Credit providers (cards/loans/finance agreements/store cards)
  • Any joint accounts

Home and Utility Services

You may need to advice the following home and utility services:

  • Postal redirects
  • Landlords or estate agencies
  • Mortgage lender
  • Gas, electricity and water suppliers
  • Broadband and TV providers
  • Car payments (tax/finance/insurance)

Local Authority and Government Services

You will also need to notify any applicable local authority and government services, such as:

  • Local council and government office (council tax/benefits/permits)
  • DVLA and car insurance companies
  • HMRC (self employment/passport/electoral register)

Other Services

Also, consider the various other services that may need to be informed. This could include groups the deceased was a member of such as gym memberships, sports groups, or various other social gatherings.

Contact Us

Contact Piper Funeral Services

For more advice on who to inform when someone dies and support during this difficult time, please seek support from the caring staff at Pipers Funeral Services.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.